We’ve all heard the old saying about breakfast being the most important meal of the day. And it certainly is a vital component to making sure we start out with strength, energy and mental alertness. Breakfast should give you a lasting energy boost, kick-start your metabolism and help keep cravings at bay. But what we actually choose to eat in the morning is equally important as the meal itself.
On one hand, pre-packaged breakfast cereals can make a nutritious option. Especially cereals that contain oats, seeds or nuts. On the other hand, many of the processed or packaged options contain high quantities of sugar. And we all know how bad sugar is. But not only that, these foods simply won’t keep you full or energised for long.
A healthy breakfast should be well balanced in order to give you the right amount of energy to last you through the day. Or at least until lunch. Keep your breakfast balanced and nutritious by eating something that includes protein, complex carbohydrates and healthy fats. Great breakfast protein options include eggs or yogurt, while complex carbohydrates include fruit, oats or whole grain bread. Healthy fats can be found in avocado, nuts, smoked salmon or seeds.
The question is, what is the healthiest thing to eat for breakfast? Well, its 2021 and that means we have an incredible range of recipes to choose from. And if you are looking for some healthy breakfast ideas to start your day the right way, Prinos Farm&Deli have got you covered. In our latest blog, we list some great alternative ideas for the first meal of the day. So, whether you need to feed your kids before school, or you want something quick and easy to take into the office, here are our favourite healthy breakfast ideas.
- Overnight Oats: This is a great one for those of us who are in a rush in the morning and don’t usually have time to make breakfast. Prepare these oats the night before, pop them in the fridge and they’ll be ready in the morning. And the preparation method is simple. Just take an old jar with a lid, add a couple of spoons of oats and any additional ingredients you feel like. Great additions include chia seeds, frozen berries, chopped banana, protein powders, cinnamon or ground flaxseed. Next, top up the jar with some yogurt or kefir, and your favourite plant-based milk alternative. Give it all a good shake to mix the ingredients together. Then it’s ready to be refrigerated. Oats are a great source of beta-glucan fibre, which has many impressive health benefits. These include lowering ‘bad’ cholesterol levels and helping you feel full for longer. Oats also contain antioxidants which promote a healthy heart and help to decrease blood pressure.
- Sweet Potato Toast: Who knew that you could toast sweet potato? This super easy and extremely nutritious recipe is a game changer for those trying to eat less bread. Not only does it offer a gluten-free bread substitute, but it’s also a great way to incorporate the many health benefits of sweet potato more regularly into your diet. Start by taking a sweet potato. Wash and slice horizontally into pieces around ¼ – ⅓ inch in thickness. Toast your sliced sweet potato and then top with anything you want. Some particularly good pairings include avocado, eggs, peanut butter and banana or berries and honey. The sweet potato in this recipe will offer you a wealth of nutritional benefits first thing in the morning. This root vegetable is packed full of gut healthy fibre, as well as powerful antioxidants. For example, it is one of the best food sources of Vitamin A, which fights free radicals in the body. Moreover, this important nutrient has anti-aging properties, while also helping to prevent cancer and support healthy eyesight.
- Quinoa Porridge: You may think of quinoa as more of a lunch or dinner meal. But this protein packed superfood works just as well as a nutrient packed alternative breakfast option. It’s also a quick and easy healthy breakfast on the run. Why? Because you can prepare a large batch of quinoa at the beginning of the week or from the night before. Then all you need to do in the morning is heat up the pre-cooked quinoa together with a dash of vanilla or a pinch of cinnamon and your favourite plant-based milk. Top off the porridge with any of the following additions for extra flavour: desiccated coconut, yogurt berries, apple sauce, raw almonds, chia seeds, raisins or dried cranberries. Try soaking your quinoa for 8-12 hours before cooking it to activate its nutrients, improve digestibility and speed up cooking time.
- Breakfast Smoothies: There are so many different delicious smoothie options out there. And all of them make for great healthy breakfast options. Not only are smoothies quick and easy to make, but they can also be made to take away for a 6breakfast on the go. Furthermore, smoothies are a great way of combining all the necessary nutrients for a well-balanced breakfast. For example, smoothies offer the vitamins, antioxidants and fibres contained in fruit or leafy greens. Along with the healthy fats, proteins and probiotics found in yogurts or kefir. Add a superfood powder such as raw cacao, spirulina or kale powder. And a spoon of nut butter adds extra flavour and protein. Try our Sisinni Almond cream with stevia.
- Prinos’ Homemade granola and yogurt pots: Simply don’t have time to make a healthy breakfast? Prinos Farm&Deli has your morning meal covered, with our delicious breakfast pots at the Prinos Fresh bar. Our yogurt pots come in three delicious flavours: dried fruits and nuts granola; pomegranate granola and red fruit granola. All are made with our chefs own homemade granola, together with traditional Greek yogurt and fruit. Greek yogurt is packed full of protein, and gut healthy probiotics. It is also a great source of Vitamin B12 and calcium. For those looking for a more bread based morning snack, try our Prinos Fresh bar bio egg sandwich or the smoked salmon sandwich – both are tasty, well-balanced options.
And at Prinos Farm&Deli, we want to make sure you have all the right ingredients to do just that. So, head down to our stores in Nicosia and Larnaca, or visit our online e-shop to stock up on healthy breakfast options that will really kickstart your day!