First of all, Prinos Farm&Deli wish you all a very Happy New Year and a wonderful 2023, filled with delicious food from our shelves. Next up, we know many people start the new year with great resolutions to live healthier and eat a more well-balanced diet. And of course after all the indulgences of the festive period, a lot of us are in need of a detox come January!
Sure, Christmas and the holiday season are all about eating, drinking and being merry with friends family and loved ones. And with the vast range of premium treats and our expertly curated Prinos cava, its easy to stay stocked up with indulgences at this time of year. But come January, and the time of new years resolutions, detoxing is usually more of a priority.
While Prinos Farm&Deli always advocate for a well-balanced diet, which includes a little bit of those things we love; we’re also here to share some of the best foods to support a healthy liver this January. And Prinos has one of the most extensive selections of fresh vegetables in Cyprus. As well as one of the best stocks of seasonal fruits in Cyprus. Which means it’s easy to get healthy and detox this month.
How Does the Liver Help Detox the Body
One of the most important organs for Detoxing the body is the liver. This organ acts as a filter, cleaning out the things the body doesn’t needs and allowing all the goodness through into the body. However, the liver does need nutrition and fuel to keep it healthy and functioning.
Which means there are some foods that help the liver and some things that don’t. If the liver doesn’t get enough nutrition, it won’t be able to filter out the junk, which is when we start feeling tired, low on energy and sick. An overworked liver that is fed too much junk food, sugar, salt, alcohol or toxins can also effect the skin and hair as well as our energy levels.
Are you feeling the need to detox your liver after the festive period? If so, read on to learn more about some of the best detoxifying foods that support the liver. Furthermore, all of these foods are available at Prinos Farm&Deli – both at our online shop, as well as in store in Larnaca and Nicosia. So come and stock up for a deliciously detoxed month ahead!
- Lemons, Grapefruit and Citrus Fruit: These fruits are all extremely rich in Vitamin C and other antioxidants that reduce inflammation and cleanse the liver naturally. Add some freshly squeezed lemon to your water in the morning for an extra liver boosting cleanse. Or cut grapefruit in half and grill with a sprinkle of cinnamon and honey for a delicious detoxing dessert.
- Cruciferous Vegetables: These seasonal vegetables include broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, brussels sprouts and kouloumbra. They work by increasing the livers natural detoxification enzymes and protecting the liver from damage. Cook them with garlic then add a squeeze of lemon juice on top to make these tasty veggies extra healthy.
- Nuts: They make it onto almost every healthy eating list. And now nuts are also great for detoxing the liver. This is because they are high in antioxidants such as Vitamin E, as well as healthy fats that protect the liver against liver disease. Swap your biscuits or crisps with a handful of healthy nuts to keep hunger at bay in the healthiest way!
- Blueberries and Cranberries: Both of these tasty fruits work by helping to filter out toxins in the body and detoxify both the liver and the kidneys. They also reduce inflammation and reduce dangerous bacteria. Both are also packed with Vitamin C and other antioxidant and have been known to help protect and heal damage to the liver. Add frozen berries to your smoothies in the morning for an extra liver boost.
- Fatty Fish: Fatty fish are good for the liver because they are packed full of Omega-3 fatty acids. These nutrients in turn work by reducing liver fat and inflammation caused by alcohol or saturated fats.
- Garlic: Garlic is rich in allicin which the body uses to produce bile – the liver enzyme that aids the detoxification of the blood and body. This pungent root vegetable also helps to fight toxins and bacteria and reduces inflammation in the liver, further supporting the detoxification process.
- Beetroot Juice: These beautifully coloured vegetables are particularly rich in antioxidants such as Vitamins A and C, that help to reduce liver damage and inflammation. They also support healthy liver function by increasing the production of bile – which is the natural detoxification enzyme produced by the liver. While the juice is great, you can also eat the vegetable either raw or cooked.
There are many other foods that can help detox the liver – such as tea and coffee, turmeric, and even olive oil. And reading more about how a cleanse can help your liver is always a good idea before you start. Of course the beginning of a new year is a great time for new starts and healthy intentions. But we also believe that sometimes it’s good to enjoy the things you love. Such as a great wine, or delicious chocolates!
So, whether you are trying to be as healthy as possible as we go into 2023. Or you just want to detox for the month after the Christmas period. Prinos Farm&Deli is here to support your every dietary need with our premium groceries and fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables. So we look forward to seeing you in store or meeting all your food delivery needs this new year, with home delivery from our online e-shop.