5 nutritional benefits of fresh seasonal citrus fruits
Winter in Cyprus may mean colder weather and shorter days. But one thing this season does have is an abundance of fresh citrus fruits, growing in profusion across the island – nature’s way of helping us fight against the elements.
This bountiful harvest includes multiple variants of mouth-wateringly juicy meaty thick-skinned , and t whose flavour is as vibrant as their brightly coloured pulp; tangy , and sweet easy-to-peel tangerines, . And all with a wealth of nutritional benefits – read on to find out more.
- Citrus Fruits are packed full of Vitamin C: One of the main health benefits of citrus fruits is that they are an excellent source of Vitamin C. This powerful antioxidant is known to help boost the immune system, fight signs of aging and reduce inflammation and damage caused by free radicals. Vitamin C also supports the body’s natural production of collagen, keeping the skin smooth and wrinkle-free. And the high levels of Vitamin C in citrus fruits also mean the food can help your body absorb iron – especially plant-based non-heme iron which doesn’t absorb easily unless paired with Vitamin C.
- Citrus Fruits promote heart and brain health: As well as being an excellent source of Vitamin C, citrus fruits are also rich in a number of potent plant compounds such as flavonoids that can help to improve heart and brain health, as well as reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and degenerative brain diseases such as Alzheimer’s. How? Well, these flavonoids reduce inflammation and blood pressure, improve insulin sensitivity, blood glucose levels and blood lipid metabolism.
- Citrus Fruits are rich source of natural fibres: Fibre plays an important role in any healthy diet. This essential nutrient helps to maintain a healthy digestive system, making it a great food for those looking to lose weight. Fibre has also been linked to improved heart health thanks to its ability to help lower cholesterol. Citrus fruits are a particularly efficient source of fibre, as they have a higher ratio soluble fibre than other foods.
- Citrus Fruits are thought to help protect against cancer: Several studies have found that citrus fruits may help protect against certain cancers, especially those of the digestive tract, as well as breast cancer and lung cancer. This is linked to the high levels of vitamin C, carotenoids and flavonoids found in these fruits – antioxidants that reduce the risk of degenerative diseases and can help prevent against cancer.
- Citrus Fruits are loaded with additional vitamins and minerals: These deliciously juicy foods are not only a treat for the tastebuds, they are also full of a host of other important nutrients, minerals and vitamins such as potassium – which is helps to regulate the bodies fluid, mineral and sodium levels and can help reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease. Citrus fruits are also high in B-vitamins, copper, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus.
At Prinos we take pride in supplying you with top quality, fresh, seasonal fruit, grown locally around the island. Come and visit us in-store or use our online e-shop to stock up on citrus fruits this winter.
Don’t forget that you can always put your order online at shop.prinos.eu.