You’ve probably already heard of creams, oils or serums that promise to give you ‘glowing skin’ on application. However, it is now 2022, which means we know that it’s not only what you put on your skin that counts. A nutrient rich diet of healthy foods, like those found at Prinos Farm&Deli plays an equally important role in how healthy our skin looks and feels, as well as how quickly it ages.
In fact – as the saying goes – ‘healthy skin comes from within’. And indeed, the foods that we eat play a huge role in the health and appearance of skin. But it’s not just one particular food-group that gives the skin that boost of health we all want! In essence, it’s about having a well-balanced diet, that incorporates a wide range of different nutrients, Vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. And that’s not forgetting the important of healthy fats in helping to get the skin glowing.
Of course, there are also certain foods to avoid for glowing skin. Very processed foods, with high quantities of salt and sugar, as well as deep fried foods all need to be reduced.
Want to know more about the best diet for glowing skin and hair? Below, we’ve listed some of the very best foods for glowing skin. So, rather than spending all your money on expensive skin products, head down to Prinos Farm&Deli and pick up some skin boosting ingredients!
- Fatty Fish: Certain fish contain higher quantities of beneficial Omega-3 fatty acids, which are integral for healthy skin. And oily fish such as tuna, sardines, trout, salmon, herring and mackerel are all packed full of this skin boosting nutrient. How do Omega-3 fatty acids help the skin? Well, they work to keep the cells healthy, reduce inflammation, and also keep the skin moisturised, plumped and strong. Fatty fish also contain Vitamin E, which is a potent skin antioxidant, helping to fight free radicals that can damage the skin. They are also a great source of skin boosting proteins, as well as zinc, which helps to encourage new skin cells and reduces inflammation.
- Avocado: Another food that is a great source of these beneficial healthy fats is avocados. This deliciously creamy food is known for its potent properties that help keep the skin moisturised, supple and firm. Avocado’s, especially fresh organic Avocados, are also thought to help prevent against sun damage. They are also packed full of important B Vitamins called biotin, that are good for the skin and give that glow you’re looking for! Moreover, avocados contain Vitamins C and E, which as we already know prevent oxidative damage caused by free radicals and create collagen. Collagen is integral to keeping your skin supple and strong.
- Green Tea: Its multiple health benefits have been known since ancient times. And it seems that protecting the skin and keeping it glowing and youthful are some of those benefits. Why is Green Tea such a powerful skin health booster? Because it contains potent antioxidants called catechins that work wonders for the skin. Not only does it help prevent sun damage, but it also helps to repair the skin cells, improve skin elasticity and hydration, as well as slow down the signs of aging.
- Soybeans & chickpeas: Beans and pulses are packed full of healthy nutrients. But when it comes to healthy, firm and glowing skin, it’s the mighty soyabean, with its high quantities of isoflavones, that really stand out. These plant compounds work by blocking oestrogen production in the body while simultaneously boosting the production of collagen. This in turn helps to improve skin elasticity and reduce the signs of aging such as wrinkles. Also found in chickpeas, isoflavones can also help to keep the skin hydrated, which protecting from sun damage and skin cancers. Increase your soya intake by trying soya mince in a recipe instead of mince, or by having soya milk instead of dairy.
- Sunflower Seeds: As we already know, most nuts are good for the skin. And the same goes for seeds. However, not all seeds are created equal, and one pack a particular punch when it comes to promoting glowing skin. Sunflower seeds are rich in known skin health booster nutrients and antioxidants – Vitamin E, selenium and zinc. This humble little seed also contains an important essential fatty acid called linoleic acid, which is particularly important for helping to keep the skin strong, thick and healthy.
- Broccoli: Broccoli is a Vitamin packed powerhouse of skin boosting nutrients. Not only is it rich in Vitamin C – the ultimate skin glowing ingredient. But it also contains high quantities of Zinc and Vitamin A, which are both known for their skin enhancing and strengthening properties. And that’s not all! Broccoli is a source of a skin protecting carotenoid called lutein, which works by fighting the free radicals that cause oxidative damage to the skin. Another skin friendly compound called sulforaphane is also found in broccoli, which can help protect the skin against sun damage. Other cruciferous vegetables that have similar skin boosting benefits include kale, cauliflower and bok choy.
- Walnuts: Next time you’re craving a snack, grab some walnuts that also provide multiple skin boosting properties. These tasty little nuts are not only high in both Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, but they are also rich in protein, zinc, selenium and antioxidants such as Vitamin E and Vitamin C. All of which are integral for healthy skin.
- Carrots, Bell Peppers & Sweet Potatoes: There’s one key ingredient that all of these delicious fresh vegetables have in abundance. And that is beta carotene – known for boosting skin health by converting to Vitamin A in the body. A potent antioxidant, Vitamin A protects the skin against sun damage, preventing wrinkles and premature aging. It is also known to promote a healthy glow on the skin. Other foods rich in beta carotene include spinach, oranges. All of these nutrient dense foods are also all rich in Vitamin C – which not only makes the skin glow, but also promotes the production of collagen.
- Red Grapes: Among the many nutritional benefits of red grapes, one of the most appealing is their ability to reduce and slow the effects of aging. How? Due to their high quantities of a potent plant antioxidant called resveratrol. These compounds fight against free radicals which damage the skin and cause wrinkles.
- Tomatoes: While helping to get the skin glowing thanks to its Vitamin C contents, tomatoes are also on the list because they are a rich source of carotenoids. Of these compounds, we already known about beta carotene and lutein. But on top of these, tomatoes also contain lycopene. This potent phytochemical works by protecting the skin against oxidisation and sun damage, fighting free radicals and preventing premature aging and wrinkles. It also boosts the skins production of collagen, needed for skin strength, smoothness and elasticity. The nutritional benefits of lycopene are increased through cooking and consuming them together with good fats helps to increase absorption.
In essence, there are many ways to help get glowing skin. These can include exercise, skincare routines, lifestyle choices and drinking enough water, as well as a well-balanced diet. But if you are wondering how to make your skin glow naturally, the above list is a great place to start. And as Prinos Farm&Deli prides itself as being one of the best supermarkets in Cyprus, we’ve got everything you need to get started! So, head to our stores in Larnaca or Nicosia. Or visit our e-shop today, to stock up on some natural ingredients for glowing skin.